Skip to main content

Day 6-Matthew 7

Hey guys! Alright, time to wrap up the Sermon on the Mount. I did not have a chance to write any more on Matthew 6 today; not sure if I ever will, but I want to go through it again someday. Maybe when I finish the challenge I will come back to passages I want to highlight more! We'll have to see! :)

Before today ends, I'd like to share with you my thoughts from Matthew 7. Again, there are so many things I would love to touch on, but my time is limited. So for now, I'll focus on verses 15-20: "A Tree and Its Fruit". There are so many things to say about this, but I'll stick with just one.

This is a tough topic I think because it has revealed some things about myself that I realize I need to change. Now I know that these verses say to watch for false prophets whose lives may seem committed to Christ but they show no signs of that commitment. But I think it means more than just nonbelievers; I think that it applies in some way to Christians as well. I think that God's Word tells us as Christians that our lives should be bearing fruit and that others should be able to see if we are Christians by how we act. Do we bear fruit that shows our faith in Christ? I know I don't all the time. We are to be imitators of Christ, but are we really imitating His example? Something I have struggled with for a long time is the discipline of spending time with God and reading His Word daily. This is necessary to grow in my relationship with Christ, yet I don't follow through. If I'm not spending time with God and spending time in His Word, how am I supposed to be showing others the growth I've experienced in my life? The answer is: I can't. My life won't show fruit if I'm not cultivating the fruit and doing what is necessary to help it grow. I pray that this journey through God's Word will help me to grow in my relationship with Him and will allow me to bear fruit and be an example to those around me.

We sing a song at our church sometimes, and the last two lines of the verses I think are a good way of concluding my post for today. The song "They'll Know we are Christians" says that those around us will know that we are Christians by our love, by our example of our own lives. I encourage you, as well as myself, to bear the fruit of Christ in your lives, to live out the Fruit of the Spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control) in your lives.




(PS: I will be at youth camp this week, starting tomorrow, and will not have access to a computer. I'll give you a few hi-lites next Saturday when I get home about my week at camp and some of the things God taught me from the chapters I read! Keep reading one chapter a day with me, even if I can't share my thoughts for a little while!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finals week is here!

As much as I would love to spend time blogging this week, I don't think it's going to happen. It's finals week, so I will be spending nearly all my time studying and packing to move back home for the summer. I hope to start blogging more this summer, but we will have to see! To any college students, good luck with finals, and finish strong! To any graduating seniors, may God bless you as you enter the next chapter of your life! Until next time!

Day 4-Matthew 5

The Sermon on the Mount... tough chapters! There are so many different ways to go with the teachings of Jesus in the next 3 chapters, where do I start?! I think I'll start with Matthew 5:1-2. These verses say, "Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them". The first thing that jumps out to me is how Jesus seized the opportunity to teach those around him. He didn't waste any time deciding where to go or what he should do. He just sat down and began to teach. Do we do that? Do we seize the opportunities we have to encourage others, to tell them about God's Word? I sure don't. There have been many missed opportunities that I regret second-guessing or waiting to see if a better time might come. There's another thing I see in these first two verses: his disciples came to him (verse 1). Now remember Jesus had just called them at the end of chapter 4. They were still new

Should I Fit In, or Break the Mold?

I remember when I was in Middle School, I had one of my friends over to spend the night. This friend and I had grown up together, and we still have a close friendship even today. I remember one night in particular that she came over, and we were just hanging out and talking about anything and everything. Somehow, the topic turned to something that I was not allowed to do or watch. Even if I was allowed to do or watch whatever it was, I had no desire to do so anyway. I told this friend that I wasn't allowed to watch the movie, or do whatever it was; she accused me of being a goody-two-shoes and asked if I always had to do "what my mommy told me to". To be honest, I was embarrassed, ashamed that my friends might see me as thinking of myself better than them. I didn't know how to reply, so I just brushed off the comment and changed the subject. We moved on quickly, but I never forgot that conversation. I wonder about how I could have confronted the accusation. Why didn&#