Skip to main content

Day 5-Matthew 6

Today's post is going to be shorter. Why? Because there are so many wonderful things to write about and if I don't cut it down, I will practically write a novel. So what I am going to do is write about this chapter in pieces: one tonight and probably two segments tomorrow (that's planned between packing for camp, so we'll see how much really gets written!)   :) 

There are a few topics I plan to cover, but the first one I'll choose is the last one mentioned: worry/anxiousness.  Who here worries? I expect every single person reading has their hand raised for this one! If you don't, I want your secret! There are so many things we worry about. I worry about my college decisions, financial aid, what I will do with the rest of my life, what others think of me, and so many other things. Why do I worry? The answer can be found in Matthew 6:25-34. Let's check it out!

If you haven't already, I encourage you to read this passage before you continue reading. It will not only help you to see where I am coming from, but also allows you to form some of your own conclusions. It also is never a bad thing to read the Word of God! There are so many treasures and truths stored in His Word that are just waiting to be discovered!

Jesus is in the middle of his sermon on the mount in chapter 6. In verses 25-34, he tells us to not be anxious. That's hard, isn't it? He says, "Do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on." I think he has covered all the bases in here: food, clothing, necessities of life. Who wouldn't worry about the things that are necessary to keep you alive? But do you see what Jesus tells us later? He says that our heavenly Father doesn't let the birds go hungry, but he feeds them. He says that God clothes the grass that withers quickly. If he cares so much for things that are small and seem unimportant, how much more does He care for us, humans created in His image! WOW! Ever think about that? He takes care of the small things, so why are we worried about if He will take care of us?

Now look at what Jesus says in verse 27. He asks if we can lengthen our lifespan with anxiety. He already knows the answer is that we can't. No human can do that. We can't add time to our lives because we are worried about it. Our worry only wastes the precious time that God has given us. Do you ever notice that in your own life? Have you ever been so worried about something that you missed an opportunity that God gave you? I'm sure I have; I've been blinded by worry most of this school year, worried about grades or college applications or scholarships that I missed out on friendships that I could have gained. But if I had left it in God's hands and not been so consumed with my anxiety, I could have nurtured old friendships or created new ones.

God knows all that we need; He tells us in verse 32. But as you continue reading, do you see how God tells us we can overcome this worry? He says in verse 33 to seek His kingdom and His righteousness and "all these things will be added to you". What does He mean by that? Does He say that if we seek Him that we will gain the acceptance we want from those around us, or that we will have the clothes we want? I don't think so. I think rather that He is saying that when we seek Him rather than ourselves, He will give us what He knows we need and that we will find satisfaction in Him. He knows our needs, so why don't we listen to His leading and let Him provide what He knows is best?

A good friend of mine wrote a song that I think goes so well with this topic, and I'd like to share the lyrics of the chorus with you before I close. It goes like this:
     I'm still on My throne, I'm still in control and I know the plans I have for you.
     Don't worry about what tomorrow may bring, I already know everything.
     Have faith in me, Child, I'm still on My throne.
                      ~God's Still on His Throne, Samuel Weaver of Weaver Believer Survival Revival

I'll leave you with this: "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble" (Matthew 6:34). Don't live with worry, lay your anxiety at the feet of Christ and He will provide exactly what you need.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finals week is here!

As much as I would love to spend time blogging this week, I don't think it's going to happen. It's finals week, so I will be spending nearly all my time studying and packing to move back home for the summer. I hope to start blogging more this summer, but we will have to see! To any college students, good luck with finals, and finish strong! To any graduating seniors, may God bless you as you enter the next chapter of your life! Until next time!

Day 4-Matthew 5

The Sermon on the Mount... tough chapters! There are so many different ways to go with the teachings of Jesus in the next 3 chapters, where do I start?! I think I'll start with Matthew 5:1-2. These verses say, "Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them". The first thing that jumps out to me is how Jesus seized the opportunity to teach those around him. He didn't waste any time deciding where to go or what he should do. He just sat down and began to teach. Do we do that? Do we seize the opportunities we have to encourage others, to tell them about God's Word? I sure don't. There have been many missed opportunities that I regret second-guessing or waiting to see if a better time might come. There's another thing I see in these first two verses: his disciples came to him (verse 1). Now remember Jesus had just called them at the end of chapter 4. They were still new

Should I Fit In, or Break the Mold?

I remember when I was in Middle School, I had one of my friends over to spend the night. This friend and I had grown up together, and we still have a close friendship even today. I remember one night in particular that she came over, and we were just hanging out and talking about anything and everything. Somehow, the topic turned to something that I was not allowed to do or watch. Even if I was allowed to do or watch whatever it was, I had no desire to do so anyway. I told this friend that I wasn't allowed to watch the movie, or do whatever it was; she accused me of being a goody-two-shoes and asked if I always had to do "what my mommy told me to". To be honest, I was embarrassed, ashamed that my friends might see me as thinking of myself better than them. I didn't know how to reply, so I just brushed off the comment and changed the subject. We moved on quickly, but I never forgot that conversation. I wonder about how I could have confronted the accusation. Why didn&#