Skip to main content

Day 1-Matthew 1


Matthew 1 is half names (genealogy of Jesus through Joseph) and the other half the Birth of Christ according to Matthew. Now normally I would just skim through a passage like this. Today, however, since I am reading the ENTIRE New Testament, I had to read all of it. I noticed several things in chapter 1 alone: 1) how God uses people with a messed up past to show His glory and perfect plan to the world, and 2) the character of Joseph. 

We'll start with number 1, since that is how most people start. Now I wrote that I noticed how God uses people with a messed up past to show us His glory and perfection. Some of you may already know where I'm headed with this, but hear me out all the same. I know the names in the Bible, especially the Old Testament, can get confusing and therefore boring (as most seem that they were named in the midst of a sneeze...) However, today I saw a few familiar names in the middle: Rahab, Boaz, Ruth, Obed, Jesse, David and Solomon. Some may see this list of names and think, "Oh, these are names from stories we hear all the time: Ruth, David, Solomon... so what?! How do these names show God using sinful people to carry out His plan?" Well I am so glad you asked, because I was going to tell you anyway! :) Rahab may not be a familiar name to some, so I'll refresh your memory (I had to refresh my own a bit): Rahab was a prostitute in the city of Jericho (and the walls came tumbling down... ok, ok, I'm getting a little carried away from my point). Rahab lied to the king of Jericho about knowing the whereabouts of two men, spies from Israel (sound familiar yet?). Now what Rahab actually did was hide the spies and saved their lives (you can find the whole story in Joshua 2) which eventually brought Israel to take the city of Jericho. Long story short, the spies promised to save Rahab and her family, which they did, and Israel took the city of Jericho. So now what? Rahab and her family were spared, but what else? How is she connected to Christ? You keep asking the right questions! ;) Rahab married and had a son named Boaz (sound familiar?) Boaz, as you can find in the story of Ruth (found in the book of Ruth) married... RUTH!... and they had a son named Obed, who later had a son named Jesse, who had a son named David (now is it coming back to you?) David, King of Israel, was "a man after God's heart" (Acts 13:22), but was not without his own faults. Remember his affair with Bathsheba, the wife of Uriah, and later how David had Uriah killed in battle? So we admit David is definitely not perfect. But God still used him in amazing ways, not only in His importance in the lineage of Christ, but also in his leadership over the kingdom of Israel during his reign. God actually used David's sin with Bathsheba to bring Christ, did you know that? Yes, Solomon (king of Israel, the "wise guy", the Temple of Solomon, etc.) was in fact the son of David and Bathsheba! Matthew 1 continues on with the lineage from Solomon to Joseph, but I won't go into that now. I just wanted to point out a few key people who had messed up pasts but were used greatly by God. He still uses people who mess up, even in the New Testament and today (think Peter, the apostle Paul, etc). Don't think that your sin will keep God from using you to further His kingdom. If God couldn't use sinful people, no one but Christ would qualify to be part of His eternal plan. So that's my first observation from Matthew 1.

Observation number 2: the character of Joseph.
Alright, now I'm going to add a few personal notes before continuing. As you all know, I am a girl (I'm sure I didn't have to point that out, just wanted to establish that as a starting point). Since I am a girl, my take on this will be quite different than the take any guy might have on the same topic. Anyway, during these past few years, relationships have become more, how should I say it, more important to me, especially thoughts of dating and someday marriage. I'll admit, I've been sucked into the romantic and "mushy" side of everything (thank you, Love Comes Softly movie series, Disney fairy tales, and Lori Wick/Karen Kingsbury books...) But tonight I noticed something in the character of Joseph, the "fiancee" of Mary-mother of Jesus-that isn't necessarily the "mushy" side of the equation. In Matthew 1:19, it says that Joseph, "being a just man and unwilling to put (Mary) to shame (after finding out she was with child), resolved to divorce her quietly". In these mere 20 words of the verse, I find two things about the character of Joseph: 1) he is just, and 2) he is merciful. I know, here I go again with two things. But these are, in my mind, two of the most crucial points of his character so far. Number 1: Joseph is just (as seen in the text of verse 19). Now think about what Joseph has just gone through: he is engaged to be married to Mary; he finds out she is pregnant, and he knows it is not his biological child ("before they came together..." Matthew 1: 18). What do you think you would do? I am not a guy, so I cannot speak for the guy side of Joseph. However, I'm sure he's pretty much freaked out. His betrothed wife is pregnant and it isn't his kid... uh-oh!! So what's he supposed to do? According to traditional Jewish customs, if a woman was found to be having an affair with a man other than her husband, she was to be stoned. But do you see what Matthew says about Joseph next? He is "unwilling to put her to shame" (verse 19 and point #2). This is where I see Joseph's mercy. In his mind, he's been wronged, he's been hurt, he's been and will continue to be humiliated publicly. Most of us (myself included) would probably seek to wrong, hurt, and publicly humiliate that person who did the same to us. But do you see what he really did? He decided that he would quietly divorce her so that she would not be put to shame. He put her reputation before his own feelings, and that is where I see the mercy in Joseph. His compassion and mercy outweighed his personal hurt and pain (1 Corinthians 13:4-7 sound familiar?) Instead of acting on his own emotions, though, Joseph does take Mary as his wife as prompted by God through a dream. So actually that two should become three things after seeing verses 20-24. In verse 24, after Joseph has a dream, he takes Mary as his wife. I see devotion and commitment in Joseph. He's willing to stick with it, no matter how tough it might be from now on. His commitment is a parallel to how God doesn't leave even when we get to be difficult and stubborn (Joshua 1:9). God promised numerous times that He would be with us and never, NEVER leave us, even when we mess up. Joseph's character shows his trust in God's plan, and also shows that there are men out there that follow God and do have good character traits! ;) And that's my observation number 2!

If you read this whole thing, WOW! Thanks for sticking with me through this first chapter! I hope to be back in a bit with my thoughts from chapter 2 and continuing with each chapter of the NT every day until Easter! See you soon! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finals week is here!

As much as I would love to spend time blogging this week, I don't think it's going to happen. It's finals week, so I will be spending nearly all my time studying and packing to move back home for the summer. I hope to start blogging more this summer, but we will have to see! To any college students, good luck with finals, and finish strong! To any graduating seniors, may God bless you as you enter the next chapter of your life! Until next time!

Day 4-Matthew 5

The Sermon on the Mount... tough chapters! There are so many different ways to go with the teachings of Jesus in the next 3 chapters, where do I start?! I think I'll start with Matthew 5:1-2. These verses say, "Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them". The first thing that jumps out to me is how Jesus seized the opportunity to teach those around him. He didn't waste any time deciding where to go or what he should do. He just sat down and began to teach. Do we do that? Do we seize the opportunities we have to encourage others, to tell them about God's Word? I sure don't. There have been many missed opportunities that I regret second-guessing or waiting to see if a better time might come. There's another thing I see in these first two verses: his disciples came to him (verse 1). Now remember Jesus had just called them at the end of chapter 4. They were still new

Should I Fit In, or Break the Mold?

I remember when I was in Middle School, I had one of my friends over to spend the night. This friend and I had grown up together, and we still have a close friendship even today. I remember one night in particular that she came over, and we were just hanging out and talking about anything and everything. Somehow, the topic turned to something that I was not allowed to do or watch. Even if I was allowed to do or watch whatever it was, I had no desire to do so anyway. I told this friend that I wasn't allowed to watch the movie, or do whatever it was; she accused me of being a goody-two-shoes and asked if I always had to do "what my mommy told me to". To be honest, I was embarrassed, ashamed that my friends might see me as thinking of myself better than them. I didn't know how to reply, so I just brushed off the comment and changed the subject. We moved on quickly, but I never forgot that conversation. I wonder about how I could have confronted the accusation. Why didn&#