Skip to main content

Day 2-Matthew 3

I know it's late, but I'm finally writing today's post. Between setting up this blog and my grandmother's birthday, I haven't had a chance to just sit and write. That time has finally come, and I am so excited to share with you what I saw in Matthew 3! :)

Matthew 3 begins with John the Baptist (Jesus' cousin). The Bible says that John was preaching in the wilderness and told the people to "repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Just like Isaiah prophesied, John was preparing the way of the Lord. Now when I read this, it seemed to be the same story I've heard over and over again: John preaching in the wilderness, Jesus coming to him to be baptized, etc. But verse 4 caught my eye today, and I'd like to focus this post on this single verse. I know, here I go again with the little stuff in the middle of the passage. But I guess I've learned that from my pastor of 17 years through his example of going verse by verse or focusing on smaller sections of the books of the Bible in his sermons. If you don't have a copy of Matthew 3 in front of you, I'd encourage you to do so. If you don't have a hard copy at hand, try www.Biblegateway.com and type "Matthew 3" in the search box. For those who still don't have Matthew 3 in front of them, here's what verse 4 says:

"Now John wore a garment of camel's hair and a leather belt around his waist, and his food was locusts and wild honey."

When I read this the first time, my first reaction was, "Yuck! He's in the middle of nowhere wearing camel hair and eating BUGS?? And he is STILL doing what God told him to do? I think he's been in the heat too long!" Do you agree with me? It seems that John has gone crazy! Here's my other possible take on John's situation:

"Now John wore a garment of camel's hair and a leather belt around his waist"
               -simple clothing, nothing fancy; probably not the most comfortable clothing option around, but maybe it's all he had.
"...and his food was locusts and wild honey"
               -maybe that's all he could find to eat; drought, famine, maybe he's in the desert and there's no berry bushes or stray chickens.

This outlook seems to be more logical than his being insane. But when I thought about what this verse was saying, I realized that John's way of life was an example to me of how I should be living. I know what you're thinking: "Has Grace gone crazy? Maybe SHE'S the one who's been in the desert too long! We're supposed to find an example in going insane?" Please hear me out, this isn't at all what I'm saying. Have you ever heard of Romans 12:1? If you haven't, here's what it says:

"I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship."

See the word I put in bold? "sacrifice". That's what I thought of when I read Matthew 3:4. John was a living sacrifice in the wilderness, spending his life telling others to repent because the kingdom of heaven was coming, and it was coming soon! John didn't have fancy clothes, he didn't eat steak and potatoes every night. He wore camel hair and ate bugs... wow! Can we say that we do that? Can we say that we sacrifice our personal preferences for the cause of Christ? I'll admit that I don't. It's not easy giving up nice clothes or fancy meals, the big houses or newest cars. But if we pursue worldly desires, our heart is torn between our selfishness and obedience to God. The Bible says we cannot serve two masters. I think John shows us the meaning of personal sacrifice quite well. And if you think that's enough, consider the life of Christ. Jesus Christ made the ultimate sacrifice when He came to earth as a mere human. He suffered and DIED on a cross, and three days later rose so WE sinful humans could have a personal relationship with Him and find eternal life! Can you say you've made that kind of sacrifice? I'll answer that question for you: NO, no one else has EVER made that kind of sacrifice. Jesus gave up His life for so we could find true life in Him; what are you willing to give to serve Him?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finals week is here!

As much as I would love to spend time blogging this week, I don't think it's going to happen. It's finals week, so I will be spending nearly all my time studying and packing to move back home for the summer. I hope to start blogging more this summer, but we will have to see! To any college students, good luck with finals, and finish strong! To any graduating seniors, may God bless you as you enter the next chapter of your life! Until next time!

Day 4-Matthew 5

The Sermon on the Mount... tough chapters! There are so many different ways to go with the teachings of Jesus in the next 3 chapters, where do I start?! I think I'll start with Matthew 5:1-2. These verses say, "Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him. And he opened his mouth and taught them". The first thing that jumps out to me is how Jesus seized the opportunity to teach those around him. He didn't waste any time deciding where to go or what he should do. He just sat down and began to teach. Do we do that? Do we seize the opportunities we have to encourage others, to tell them about God's Word? I sure don't. There have been many missed opportunities that I regret second-guessing or waiting to see if a better time might come. There's another thing I see in these first two verses: his disciples came to him (verse 1). Now remember Jesus had just called them at the end of chapter 4. They were still new

Should I Fit In, or Break the Mold?

I remember when I was in Middle School, I had one of my friends over to spend the night. This friend and I had grown up together, and we still have a close friendship even today. I remember one night in particular that she came over, and we were just hanging out and talking about anything and everything. Somehow, the topic turned to something that I was not allowed to do or watch. Even if I was allowed to do or watch whatever it was, I had no desire to do so anyway. I told this friend that I wasn't allowed to watch the movie, or do whatever it was; she accused me of being a goody-two-shoes and asked if I always had to do "what my mommy told me to". To be honest, I was embarrassed, ashamed that my friends might see me as thinking of myself better than them. I didn't know how to reply, so I just brushed off the comment and changed the subject. We moved on quickly, but I never forgot that conversation. I wonder about how I could have confronted the accusation. Why didn&#